Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Good, The Bad and The Profanity

Today was yet another beautiful day. It's 80° out and sunny. I took the kids on a walk over to St. Rose for another quick visit. The Daytime Circulation Supervisor (my former department) is taking a new job at another college library so they were holding a luncheon in her honor today. It was a nice little send off. I'm really going to miss dropping in and seeing her this summer.

To be completely honest, when she was first hired on as the day supervisor, most everyone, including me, was apprehensive about her. She's from Denmark originally and we honestly didn't know what to expect from her. In the years following her arrival at the library, she grew on most everyone. She was kinda like a second mom to me as I could pretty much tell her anything and she would go out of her way to help when she could. I really felt bad leaving her when I stopped working and became a Stay at Home Mom. Like any family, we had our differences and butted heads on numerous occasions. Looking, back, I'm glad we did butt heads. I also learned a few things I never would have known had I not met her. I'm not talking swear words in Danish or things like that, but the fun stuff, like the naughty little "nisse" that would bring special treats to the student assistants who worked the desk.

I know she probably won't ever read this, but I wish her lots of luck in all her future endeavors. I hope she grows on the people of Skidmore College the way she did at St. Rose.

And now on to the rant portion of this post. As I was walking home with the kids, I came upon a group of 3 teens hanging out on a street corner (right where I was crossing) and as I approach them I hear such foul language spilling from their mouth I wanted to wash their mouths out with Dawn! My question is, why were these 3 teens, who were obviously school aged, hanging out on the corner at 1 in the afternoon? Why were they not in class? I checked the school calendar on the website and they have school until June 22nd! Everyone complains how bad the schools are here in the city and it really makes you think it has something to do with the kids not being in class. When I went to school you had to be there until the end bell even if you had study hall as your last period. There was no early dismissal. The biggest peeve I have is that they were spouting off all their profanity as I'm walking past with my 2 year old! At least have the courtesy to shut up for the 30 seconds I was near. It's not that hard. I don't want to hear "mother f'n" this and "sh*t" that. And to top it all off, they were dropping the n word like it was water. I'm not a racist so please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way. I know that if a white person dropped the n word like these kids were, somewhere in the world a black person would have their panties in a bunch. But it's fine for a black person to say it to another black person. Why? And why in public? I never want to hear those words come out of Bug's mouth like that. Yes, I've been known to drop my fair share of swear words, but I don't do it in public. Come on people. Teach your kids to have respect for others! I only hope I can teach Bug this better than those teens were taught.

Ok, I'm off my soap box now. lol

1 comment:

Corey~living and loving said...

oh dear.......yes...it is a sad sad thing. I don't get it either Sara. I hate to hear those words and especially out of kids. :( I just don't understand.